Adsense

Saturday 2 January 2016

Featured Item. Blue Heart Necklace


This week the featured item from my shop is the Blue Heart Necklace.
This necklace was inspired by the heart of the ocean necklace a replica of which is worn by Kate Winslet in the blockbuster Titanic.


To explain how this necklace came about I first need to explain a little about last year when I was coming up with the idea for this necklace.
At the beginning of 2014, my nana was dying she had cancer and it was gradually taking over her whole body. Over her years she had picked up various bit and pieces of arts and craft and tried them then stored them. Unfortunately she was now too ill to put them to use and knowing her granddaughters where just as crazy about arts and craft as she was, she called us all up and had us come over. She told us all her hiding places and we happily spread the pieces out among our selves and listened to her tell us stories about the pieces she made and how easy or hard she had found doing them. In my stash of items I had found beads and clasps. Nana said she had tried jewellery making because she loved the pieces I had made and decided to give it a go. She reminisced about a beautiful springy bracelet and spending ages threading the beads together only for it to spring from her fingers and send beads flying through the air. Her fingers weren't strong enough to do the loops which jewellery making demands so in the end she had admitted defeat and packed it all away. (She said granddad was getting sick of cleaning up all the beads anyway!)
In one pack of clasps I received gratefully that day was the flower clasps used in this design although it would be a few months more before I would use them.
By August of 2014 I had started to blog regularly and one of those first posts was a post about the heart of the ocean diamond. ( if you'd like to read it click here) The movie prop had always been one of my favourite pieces of jewellery from any movie and even more so after researching it for the blog post.
so I sat down with my jewellery enamel one night and made the heart pendant of this necklace with sapphire jewel enamel and a pinch of black to darken the colour down a bit. The result looked fantastic as I heat polished by warming it up with a heat gun until the surface just started to melt. The heat brings out the colours and gives it a shine.
I thought about just adding it straight onto the chain but instead decided to take a look in my box to make sure there wasn't anything else I could do. It looked a little plain sat on the chain all by it's self.
Sure enough the first thing I saw when I opened the box was the flower clasps from nana. I smiled and couldn't help but wonder if nana had guided me to them!
I decided instead of using them as a clasp behind the neck I would use them as part of the pendant design.
Ever since making this necklace I have loved it and it remains one of my favourite pieces in my shop, I have to admit I will be a little sad to see it go when it eventually sells but at least I know it'll be loved and worn!

If you would like to be the one to buy this Blue Heart Necklace, it is £12.50 with £3.20 UK Postage and packaging. I do also post aboard.

It will come to you wrapped and in an organza gift bag.

You can find Fashion Magpie Jewellery at the below links


Fashion Magpie Jewellery Blog is a celebration of antique and handcrafted jewellery, with regular featured items from my shop, antique jewellery showcase, interviews, reviews and tutorials.
 
To be the first to hear the latest news from Fashion Magpie Jewellery blog you can find me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment